Monday, November 7, 2011

New Testament Doctrine of the Trinity

The following is an outline I developed for dealing with Jehovah Witnesses who regularly come to my door. So far, they have not been able to come up with logical objections, they just keep sending "more experienced" people to my house trying to help me "see the light". I have found that the standard Trinitarian texts used by most Christians are all mistranslated in their "green" watchtower bible, and they (J.W.'s) are prepared to debate them. However, the argument FOR the doctrine of the Trinity (coming at a slightly different perspective) below has worked quite well for me so far. Please feel free to use the following arguments for the Biblical doctrine of the Trinity the next time you have these "visitors" knock at your door. It truly breaks my heart that these (truly hungry and devote, albeit deceived) "witnesses" are literally dying and going to hell with bibles in their hands.

New Testament Doctrine of the Trinity

Foundational Scriptures

Exodus 3:11-14
11But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” 12So He said, “I will certainly be with you. And this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain.” 13Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” 14And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Note: YHWH The divine name of God no one can pronounce. (A repetition of the verb “to be” in Hebrew) The Jews translate this “The Eternal One” e.g. The One Who always was, always is and always will be.

John 8: 24-28, 51-59; 10:30-33
24Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.” 25Then they said to Him, “Who are You?” And Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning. 26I have many things to say and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him.” 27They did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father. 28Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I AM He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.

51Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.” 52Then the Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.’ 53Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?” 54Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. 55Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” 59Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Note: Jesus claimed to be God (I AM). He used the Divine title (Name) YHWH.

You can be 100% correct on every doctrine of the Bible yet wrong on the doctrine of God and thus wrong enough to lose your soul for all eternity.

Trinity Definition – What do Christians mean when they say “trinity”? (J.W.’s mean three gods in one.)

The Biblical definition: Within the nature of the One God there are three distinct persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. These three persons share the same attributes (i.e. Eternal, Holiness, Omnipotence, Omniscience, Omnipresence, etc.) In effect the three persons are the One God (YHWH). Within God’s unity (nature) we can discern three distinct persons (so far as you and I are able to understand “person”), and these three persons are in effect the One God.

Note: The Trinity doctrine cannot be understood completely but it is not beyond the mind of man to comprehend what God has revealed to us about Himself.

A Cardinal Rule (of Bible interpretation) – You always interpret the Old Testament (OT) in light of the New Testament (NT)! Never the reverse. The NT completes the OT, and you backwards from the completion to the beginning to interpret. The scriptures are complete in the NT revelation.

I will now demonstrate from the NT that there are really three persons to the God-head and they are all called “God”. I will also demonstrate that the Bible says that there is only One God. Logical conclusion: Things equal to the same thing are equal to each other, and the three persons of the trinity are the One God.

Question: Is there a person called “the father” in the NT and is He also called “God”?

Answer: 2 Peter 1:17 - 17For He (Jesus) received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (See also: 1 Pet 1:2 - elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ…and Rom 1:7 …Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.)

We can see from the above that there is a person called “the Father” and He is identified as God. There is also a person called “the Son”.

Question: Is the Son identified as God (Jehovah)?

Answer: John 8:58; - Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

John 10:33 - The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

(John 5:18-Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.)

Note: Jesus was either (1) deluded, (2) hallucinating, (3) insane, (4) deliberately deceived His audience; OR He really was who He said He was. “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was (literally came into being), I AM (the eternal God).”

Additional Evidence (that Jesus is Jehovah) –

Revelation 1:8 - “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Alpha and Omega is [equals] Jehovah God!)

Revelation 22:7, 12-13 - 7“Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” 12“And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to everyone according to his work. 13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.

Who is the Alpha and Omega? V.16- “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
Verse 20- He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.”
Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

In Revelation 22:13, the Alpha and Omega is also described as the “First and the Last” as one of His titles. Compare this with Revelation 1:12-18:

12Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lamp stands, 13and in the midst of the seven lamp stands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. 17And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

Isaiah 44:6 – Jehovah identifies Himself as the First and the Last.
“Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: ‘I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.

What can we conclude? Either there are two “Firsts” and two “Lasts” (which is linguistic suicide) OR the same person is talking in Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 22:13. Two persons both called Jehovah.

(Titus 2:13- 13looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ)

Question: Is there a third person in the NT called God? And if so, can such a person be identified?

Answer: Acts 5: 1-4 - 1But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

The same man (Peter) who identified God the Father (2 Pet 1:17) identifies God the Holy Spirit.

Note: You cannot lie to a table; you cannot lie to a chair; you cannot lie to flowers; you cannot lie to a cat or a dog etc. You can only lie to a functioning cognizant personality. Ananias and Sapphira lied to the Holy Spirit (God).

Acts 13:1-3 - 1Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3Then, having fasted and prayed and laid hands on them, they sent them away. (First person in the Greek “Ego” designating personality.)

(The Holy Spirit is eternal – Hebrews 9:14 - how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?)

I have just identified three persons in the NT all called God, yet 1 Timothy2:5 says: “For there is One God…”

Conclusion: The three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) identified in the NT are the One God, whether we can fully understand it or not.

(Nowhere in the Bible has it been demanded of us to understand the nature of the Creator of the universe before we can believe that He exists. He (God) has revealed Himself in Scripture as “Father, Son and Holy Spirit”!)

A few NT Texts:

John 20:28 - And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” Thomas refers to Jesus as his Lord and his God. Jesus received worship!
(See also: Matt 4:10; Matt 2:2,11; 8:2; 9:18; 15:25; 20:20; 28:9,16-17; Rev 5:1-14. Jesus never refused worship.)

Trinity at the Incarnation:
Luke 1:35 - And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit (third person of the trinity) will come upon you, and the power of the Highest (first person of the trinity) will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God (second person of the trinity).

Trinity at the Baptism of Jesus:
Matthew 3:16-17 - 16When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. 17And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
Here we see the Father, Son and Holy Spirit at baptism. (See also: Mk 1:9-12)

Trinity at the Great Commission:
Matt 28:18-19 - 18And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Trinity concerning the Resurrection of Jesus Christ: 
 
The Father raised Jesus Christ from the dead:
Acts 3:26 - To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.”
1 Thessalonians. 1:10 - … how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

The Son raised Himself from the dead: John 2:19-21 19Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” 20Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?” 21But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

(John 10:17-18 - … My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”)

The Spirit raised Jesus from the dead: Romans 8:11 - 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

All three persons raised the body of Jesus from the dead. Yet Acts 17:31 says God raised Jesus from the dead. 30Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He (God) has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.

Above we see the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in resurrection.

Trinity in the Benediction:
2 Corinthians 13:14 - The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.

Fact: The NT teaches the doctrine of the trinity!
Fact: Three persons are called God!
Fact: There is only one God!

The trinity is God! Its opposition is derived from the devil.
Isaiah 43:10 - … “You are My witnesses,” says the LORD, “And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me.

Isaiah 45:22 - … “Look to Me, and be saved, All you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.

A Puzzle for Jehovah’s Witnesses:

Hebrews 1:6 - But when He (Jehovah) again brings the firstborn into the world, He (Jehovah) says: “Let all the angels of God worship Him.”

God the Father/Jehovah is speaking in this verse. Question: Worship Who? Answer: The first begotten One (Jesus).

Compare to Luke 4:8 - And Jesus answered and said to him, “Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.’

Hebrews 1:6 compared to Luke 4:8 doesn’t make a bit of sense unless verse 5-8 of Hebrews chapter one is taken in context.

5For to which of the angels did He ever say: “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You”?
And again: “I will be to Him a Father, And He shall be to Me a Son”? 6But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: “Let all the angels of God worship Him. 7And of the angels He says: “Who makes His angels’ spirits And His ministers a flame of fire.” 8But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.”

The Father called the Son “God” (Jehovah).

Illustration: The trinity is NOT triplex (i.e. one plus one plus one equals one [1+1+1=1]), but triune (i.e. one times one times one equals one [1 x 1 x 1 = 1).

In a laboratory, it is possible to have in a single substance three things at one time (i.e. at the exact micro-second).

Substance: Water (H2O)

How? You take a vacuum tube and add water. Pump out the air and place the tube under 230 ml of gas pressure. Then reduce the temperature to zero degrees and as the thermometer reaches zero, the bottom of the tube instantly freezes turning to ice, the middle of the tube remains liquid, and the top of the tube “puffs” into gas.

In that one tube at that given micro-second takes place what every chemist knows as “the triple point of water”. Water (H2O) is solid, liquid and gas simultaneously.

Surely, if water which is the simplest of all elements can be three things at the same time, then the Creator of water (and of the universe) can be Father, Son and Holy Spirit simultaneously. It’s not going to give me a bit of problem whatsoever!

Conclusion: There are three persons mentioned in Holy Scripture; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Each One of Them is called “God” and yet Deuteronomy 6:4 says: “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!

No comments:

Post a Comment